The first Local and Regional Governments Forum will take place on 16 July, 2018, in the framework of the High-Level Political Forum 2018.
On this occasion, Local and Regional Governments will meet, together with Member States, representatives of the UN system, and Major Groups and other Stakeholders, to discuss their important role in localization and implementation of the 2030 Agenda and share innovative means for the local Implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The event has the following objectives:
• Highlight the cross-cutting and cross-sectoral nature of SDG 11 with the local dimension of all other SDGs, and the important role that local and regional governments play in its implementation;
• Demonstrate the importance of the urban/territorial lens in accelerating implementation of all 17 SDGs;
• Share concrete experiences, key challenges, and best practices of local implementation of the 2030 Agenda spearheaded by local and regional governments;
• Provide a space for interaction and nurturing new collaborations between local and regional governments and Member States, to better coordinate strategies for SDG implementation at all levels of government;
• Explore opportunities for enhancing national level reporting on SDGs (VNRs) through local level implementation, follow-up and review;
• Explore opportunities for strengthening regional coordination mechanisms on the monitoring and reporting of SDG targets under Goal 11
The forum is co-organzied by UNDESA, UN-Habitat, and the Global TaskForce of Local and Regional Governments, in collaboration with Local2030.
For more information, please see the concept note and preliminary programme attached.